Adventures must be done!

Chörbsch Horn Ski Tour (17th Feb 2008)

I had the dearest desire to test my brand new ski touring equipment.
Therefore I gladly accepted the invitation by Yves and Ladina to join them on a day trip above Davos. I got up early after a shortish night and sleepily made my way towards Davos, arriving there by train around 9am.
We took another train up to the Schatzalp (1861m) and started our way uphill.
I was not perfectly fit today, in fact, I could feel a cold coming, but despite that things were going splendid. The air temperature was getting high above zero in the sunshine and we sweated our way uphill.







Yves en route to the Strelasee.


















We got onto a first broad ridge above the Strelasee where the SLF research team had been digging snow profiles. Here we had a first break, sitting on some yellowish grass that the wind had blown clean off snow.


We continued up to the Latschüelfurgga, a kind of pass that leads down towards Arosa.


Latschüelfurgga

The final approach to the top was along a ridge with hard snow and some grit that had been eroded from the windward side.


Yves approaching the summit.

The view from the Chörbsch Horn (2650 m) was very good and we had a bite before we got too cold in the breeze that seemed to have picked up since we arrived.


Us on top of the Chörbsch Horn.


The downhill was somewhat strenuous for me as I was not accustomed to free riding. I had some funny crashes, the best one involved me falling sideways on the downhill side, rolling over by back and getting onto my skies again!
We managed to ride all the way down into the valley (1550m), thus a good 1000 metres of descent. Not bad, but I was knackered and promptly down with influenza the very next day!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home