Adventures must be done!

Munt Baselgia - 24.05.2010

Monday was a day off, but after yesterday's biking trip I figured that my backside needed a wee bit of a rest!
In preparation for the upcoming flight campaign in the Swiss national park, I decided to head East and check out the mountains around there.
I identified a suitable trail close to Zernez, leading up to Munt Baselgia. From there, a pass could be gained, eventually allowing a circuit. However, that was a matter of the snow level and conditions.
I started tramping uphill and could somewhat feel yesterday's biking. The tree line coincided pretty much with the snow line, typical snow conditions for late spring with big ice crystals that tend to be a bit runny. I often sank in up to my knees and progress was considerably slow. Still, I wanted to get at least to Munt Baselgia, just pure stubborness I figure.
Having arrived there, I had a short break with some munchies, then decided that it was impossible to get savely and in time over the pass; snowshoes would have been good as well as having an earlier start. I therefore headed back down again, cursing the snow that had seemingly lost all weight bearing properties!



Pasque Flower (Pulsatilla)



Me at Munt Baselgia (2682m asl)


View towards Val Mustair



Me with the Pass towards Macun in the background.




The Engadin Valley running SW, with Zernez at the bottom.


2 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Andy,

In what time could you make it up to Munt Baselgia from Zernez? I'm planning this route in mid august this year.
Thanks,
Johan

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Andy said...

I reckon, took me something like 2.5-3 hrs ... but the snow on the top slowed down considerably!

Cheers

Andy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home